Lobbying is a profession. And like all businesses, it has its own jargon describing his techniques, his way of being. Examples often related to communication techniques as perception management . We can find some guide in Brussels LobbyPlanet citing some of the techniques that are the subject of specific training, especially during sessions led by Chrissie Kimmons, an experienced lobbyist.
- The Trojan. Inspired by the legend of the battle between the Greeks and Trojans, the Trojan horse technique involves some form of infiltration. It applies in particular on the Internet. This technique aims to inform influential Internet users. In doing so, it can lead to position on the subject put forward by the influencer. It may also take the form of a structure put in place in the "target" to be informed about the laws of the opponent. Thus, AmCham EU, the American Chamber of Commerce in Brussels , is suspected of acts as a Trojan horse in the EU to defend American interests, the State or its companies.
2. Combat helicopter. Technique radical whose average is the threat of economic dislocation, directly or indirectly, if the legislation in place or planned, is not questioned. In recent years in France, threats of relocation were legion. And while our country is one of those who benefit most from foreign investment. This is what is happening now in France about the carbon tax about industrial.
. 3. Gunship English version of hélicopère combat.
4 Good cop -.. A Bad cop how U.S. police series, an interest group stubbornly defends an unacceptable extreme position. While his position is considered too obtue, another interest group related takes a more acceptable position q ui, by contrast, appears to be more moderate. The question is: which Starsky Hutch makes?
The "Kofi Annan" Named after the former Secretary General of the UN. 5., This technique, which may take the form of Trojan horse, is to propose an agreement between two parties that satisfies no one completely but allows find a solution to the crisis. It implies a ratio equal forces.
6. Third. During a deep disagreement, a third organization comes to the rescue of the negotiations to allow a consensus in this threesome. These external organizations may be false nose of interest groups. This can also be groups of interest groups such as the European Chemical Industry Council ( CEFIC ), whose work has been very effective in hindering the REACH directive on chemicals within the Union.
(In this video, at 1'10 ", the interviewee also uses hélicopère combat)
Or "Canada Dry" screens or groups. This looks like 7. False Nose an independent organization , it takes positions as independent organizations, it reflects as an independent organization. But this is not an independent organization.
8. Dentist. Pulling teeth This technique can first solve the most pressing problem before eventually resort to more surgical strikes. Communication influence, it may be to highlight a provision judged negatively by the public so that a bill does not succeed. Thus, when trading on the prevention of alcohol in France, there was talk of banning alcohol tasting. This would question the wine fairs that flourished in France in recent years. To the mobilization of the economic sector, the apprehension of the measure by the opinion and the difficulty in controlling the possible application of the provision has been amended by the Ministry of Health itself. Consume with moderation.
9.'s Ass. Taking the advantages of the strategy of carrot and stick, the donkey highlights the benefits to a parliamentary move in the direction of the influencer. In his other hand he holds a stick, symbol risk not to be convinced. When the negative vote of the Senate on the issue of tax exemptions for educational institutions, including Acadomia, read here, one might think, considering the arguments raised by the senators, "substance if you remove the exemption for business support school, it must be removed for all service businesses at home. So how to choose? So it's complicated? So we do nothing. "
10. The think-tank. These focus groups have flourished in the United States where they bring together thinkers from all backgrounds. Their reports, their ideas are widely used to initiate communication and debate. As a Hebrew proverb says, "the answer is in the question." This technique allows you to manage, in part, the media agenda.